Friday, January 28, 2011

George vs. Keith

Isn’t it amazing how saying good-bye can be such a hard thing to do in some cases and not so hard in others? Good friends can meet for a good visit and leave on great terms feeling satisfied. Those who are insecure must get as much as they can out of visits and feel a void when the visit is ended.

Last week MSNBC mini-star Keith Olbermann “quit” the network; at least, until it was revealed that he was actually fired. So much time was spent giving his show maximum exposure only to find that the network pulled the rug out from under him. So unhappy was he that he turned the bashing of President Bush into an art form. Each show seemed devoted to making sure that Bush was roasted over the coals on a daily basis. Now who knows where he will turn up? There are rumors that he may actually run for public office.

Compare this to the exit of Pres. Bush in early 2009. He was ready to leave office after eight years of daily stress. He left a content man who believed he had done the best job possible. Love him or hate him, he is now enjoying life with few regrets anxiously looking forward to doting on grandchildren. He has done all in life he wants and he will, alongside his wife, promote projects that are near and dear to his heart. He, unlike Olbermann, will be content with each waking day. Poor Keith on the other hand will be desperately looking for an audience, much like a high school senior looking for a prom date two hours before the dance.

Liberalism needs to bash in order to thrive while conservatism can stand on its own and leave nothing to want. As a former liberal, I thought it was cool to lower my head when the Pledge of Allegience or the National Anthem was being played to serve as a quiet protest against the wrongs of this country. I dwelt on the past perceived injustices and really just looked for the latest thing to complain about.

As a conservative of over thirty years, I have been very content and very stable in my beliefs and see the bright side of things. I say the Pledge with pride and hold my hand over my heart while singing the National Anthem. No matter who is in office I remain constant and want for few things. I  look beyond myself to help others and am quite happy with myself. I can only hope that Keith one day comes close to finding this kind of contentment in his life. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment