Saturday, October 30, 2010

Taxman

“Let Me Tell You How It Will Be
Here’s One For You Nineteen For Me
Cuz I’m The Taxman, Yeah, I’m The Taxman”

So begins the great lyrics by George Harrison, who was extremely agitated that more than half of his income was going to the British government. He was, of course, one of the Beatles, and it was to his dismay that his government was taking the lion’s share of the income his songwriting talents produced- with the government contributing not one iota to a given song’s production.  Well, save one. The song “Tax Man” was inspired by his frustration as to his tax liability.

“Should Five Percent Appear Too Small
Be Thankful I Don’t Take It All
Cuz I’m The Tax Man, Yeah I’m The Taxman”

This frustration continued to grow to the point that he moved out of England to escape the taxman. He certainly did not show any of the thankfulness requested by the English taxman. In fact, when he was near death he wanted to be sure that he did not die in England so as to totally avoid the remotest possibility of being subject to their massive estate tax. His problem did not stem from wanting to avoid taxes, he just felt that they were excessive to the point of discouraging him from even doing his work. What was the use? The taxman waiteth.

“If You Drive A Car, I’ll Tax The Street
If You Try To Sit, I’ll Tax Your Seat
If You Get Too Cold, I’ll Tax The Heat
If You Take A Walk I’ll Tax Your Feet!”

The taxes we pay are ridiculous to the point that no matter what you do, you pay taxes. Tax on gas, tax on your paycheck, numerous taxes for staying in a hotel, tax on utilities, tax on selling a used car that has already been taxed, taxed for eating out, and on and on it goes. Now they was to give us more taxes- and they wonder why the tea party exists.

“Don’t Ask Me What I Want It For
If You Don’t Want To Pay Some More
Cuz I’m The Taxman, Yeah I’m The Taxman

“Now My Advice For Those Who Die-Ah-Ah Mr. Wilson
Declare The Pennies On Your Eyes-Ah-Ah Mr. Heath
Cuz I’m The Taxman, Yeah I’m The Taxman
And You’re Working For No One But Me- Taxman!”

Mr. Wilson and Mr. Heath were political leaders in Harrison’s day. Mr. Wilson proposed a 95% super tax on the very wealthy and this infuriated George. He later added the lyric “If Your Overweight, I’ll Tax Your Fat”. What would he really think of Barack Obama if he were alive today? George Harrison died in Los Angeles on Nov. 29, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment