Saturday, June 4, 2011

Financial Insanity

Imagine if financial genius Dave Ramsey comes to your house and tells you to cut up your credit cards, pay cash for what you can afford while eating beans and rice until you are debt free; you would hail him as an economic Messiah. Finally, imagine if a freshman Senator Ramsey goes to Washington and gives the same advice: Tea Party freak! Right Wing Extremist! Suddenly, Dave goes from Messiah to a conservative punching bag.

I am so tired of being told that higher taxes are the answer when Congress cannot even handle the budget it currently has. Call Dave and ask him what he would think of a plan to give your irresponsible broke son a new credit card with a $100K credit limit-I dare you. Congress has looted the Social Security System while replacing the money with I.O.Us and calls it solvent. Medicare has no budgetary limits and yet Paul Ryan is considered a pariah for calling attention to a financial Hindenburg about to burn and crash. Congress can give itself pay raises and raise its own credit limit. I think so little of Congress’s ability to handle money that to give them any more credit on any level is to applaud failure.

I am all for helping someone in need but when that someone will do nothing to help themselves, I can give nothing more. The whole problem stems from the belief that we need to keep Washington going at all costs when lean Uncle Sam has become sloppy Uncle Lou. When the master serves the servant, something is very wrong. Will more taxes really solve the problem? Do you actually believe this? It will only result in more spending and an escalation of the crisis.

I would favor higher taxes when Congress has cut all they can and repeal Obama’s massive wasteful spending which includes our owning of more federal limos than ever and a hiring spree that should never have taken place. Does anyone hire more when income is down? More money does not mean better education for our kids, does not mean Washington is suddenly full of sound financial stewards, nor does it equate compassion. The War on Drugs has been called a failure but the 1960sWar on Poverty is the biggest failure known to man.

I wish President Obama would give the same support to sound financial concepts as Michelle gives to sound nutrition. There is no viable economic plan which makes as much sense as seeing the Obama’s eating in burger, rib and hot dog joints while on the road. Great P.R., but also a great example of not walking the walk. Why not highlight Helen’s Healthy Hut? I am not an advocate of tax evasion but I also choose to not be a financial enabler. Let’s give Washington D.C. a tough love financial intervention they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment