Sunday, September 12, 2010

On Political Hypocrisy


Isn't it ironic that the very people who blasted Glenn Beck for holding his 8/28 rally on the anniversary as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream Speech," and for even holding it in the same place, are the same people who support the audacious plan to put a mosque at Ground Zero? These are also the same people who denounce the Koran potentially being burned this weekend. ALL of these things are constitutionally okay but that does not necessarily make them right. They must be seen on their own merits beyond what is constitutional. This important point makes the argument that the mosque is a constitutional question of no merit. It just goes back to the truth that just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

It just goes to show the hypocrisy of those who would want freedom of expression for all-well so long as you agree with what they want to express. So many times I have been told myself that my editorials I have published could put me in harm’s way. I’ve been told I need psychiatric help and that I am so full of hate that I will explode. They say that I am brave for saying what I do but I know that I am in the majority of what America believes. It is always the 10% who are so extreme that seem to garner the right to speak for everyone. I have been told that they hope I don’t end up face down in a ditch, that I don’t get shot, that nothing happens to my car or my house, etc. These are all from people who like what I write and wish me well. What are the so-called liberal thinkers actually thinking?

I remember when the billboard came out saying that George Bush was an abortion gone wrong; that he was an argument for abortion; that someone should perform oral sex on him so that we could impeach him- all loony statements made by the left. When VP Cheney was in Afghanistan and there was a plane crash, the left spouted off that “If only it could have been Cheney onboard that fallen plane. Where are the repercussions for all of this? None by no one because these are hideous things to say about anyone. As much as I despise the policies and conduct of Pres. Clinton, Pres. Carter and Pres. Obama, I wish them no harm to them or to their families. Anyone who seriously does is mentally ill.

You are what you eat and you are what you think and say. There is just too little thought given to these wise adages in today’s world. Instead we just get things said and printed that will garner short term gain and deduct from the originator’s self-respect and standing in the world. We could all use a little more restraint and a whole lot more respect for our fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment